I hate to end this year on a sad note, but it's a sad situation that I want to record. On the 30th, over 1,000 homes, including our loving Chadwick's home, were burnt to the ground. It's possible that it began with a fire near a shed and with 110 mph winds and the driest winter ever, it took off and within hours thousands of people lost their homes, their personal items and many animals. Miraculously only two people remain unaccounted for. Everyone else got out.
Travis was helping open the new food pantry for Harvest of Hope with Rick, in Boulder, as they watched the smoke and fires come in. I was at work and thought the neighborhood west of us was on fire and then we learned just what had happened. Many soccer friends and Travis's work friends were effected. This community is strong and is working so closely together to help those without anything right now. It's an amazing site to see.
Sadly, this I where Rick's house used to stand. This is his driveway. He's now in a rental in Boulder and we don't know what his future will be. But, he and Carolyn are taking it a day at a time. Their "home" even made the front page of the New York Times.
Louisville, Superior and the edges of Boulder have been devastated. Colorado is strong and filled with amazing people who are trying to help all of those displaced. We continue to pray for those effected.
Alex's soccer team had a team building activity that I'll post about for next years books, but I wanted to put a picture of what they did here. My calling is with JustServe and the opportunity to build "ash sifting boxes" came through my email. After much thought and effort, and my desire to have my children learn to serve, Alex's soccer team was able to build and complete about 20 boxes to be distributed to those that want to search for anything left behind in the ashes. Home Depot donated all the supplies, along with a lumber store in Lafayette. Travis cut the wood and he and Zane's dad Dave screwed them all together while the boys then stapled all the mesh to the wood. What an act of service and it was so much fun for the boys to work together and have fun all while helping others.
Now, lets say good by to 2021 and hello to 2022! I have a lot of really high expectations! Let's do this.
No comments:
Post a Comment